Monday, February 27, 2012

Is it that time of year already?

The other day I got my annual Baillie Birdathon notice in the mail from Bird Studies Canada and, coupled with the great weather, was momentarily confused. Is it May already? Turns out it isn't, but that's no reason to not get a jump on registration!

The Baillie Birdathon is an annual fundraiser put on by BSC, which runs Long Point Bird Observatory in Ontario. However, it is a fundraiser with a catch!

The Birdathon entails birders spending up to 24 continuous hours birding, at some point in the month of May, collecting sponsors and pledges as they go. Sponsors can choose to sponsor their birder of choice on a flat rate, or by species seen/heard. Further, the birders can choose to designate an organization or observatory to be a partial beneficiary of their hard work, sleep deprivation, etc. My organization of choice every year is Rocky Point Bird Oservatory here in Victoria (I may have blogged about RPBO once or twice in the past......). Proceeds raised by the Birdathon go to BSC, which then distributes a portion to the organizations designated by the participants, on an increasing percentage basis. The more raised by a team/birder, the higher the percentage that goes to the organization.

This year, I have created the Rocky Point Birders to be RPBO's Birdathon team, and I encourage you to join us, or sponsor one of us at the link at the bottom of this post. If you decide to join us, it doesn't mean you have to bird with us, as I wanted to leave that open for each member to decide, based on schedules, etc, but it sure will be fun!

Last year I managed to find 89 species on my solo Big Day, winding down with Chris Saunders and a Bank Swallow at Swan Lake. This year I aim to hit 100 species, and challenge those who would rather write a cheque than have blurred vision at the end of the day to consider sponsoring me on a per species basis! My Big Day this year will likely be on either May 19th or 26th, so be sure to get your pledges in by then!

For more info, or to join or sponsor the Rocky Point Birders, see our team page.

Good Birding,

1 comment:

  1. I just recently received my Baillie Birdathon notice in the mail too. I have never done the Baillie Birdathon before, but I think I'm going to do it this year. I can't wait to participate and I hope you have a fun time too Jeremy!

    ReplyDelete