Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Bright Spot

I never did like to be one to overstate the obvious, but it is snowing.

Luckily, in all of this, there is one creature that seems to be oblivious to the snow. In a small tree perhaps 20ft from my office window there is a male Anna's Hummingbird that, despite the fluffy white onslaught from above, is singing his heart out against what we here in Victoria call a blizzard.

Even with the decidely unmusical qualities of the Anna's "song", it provides a bright spot in the cold. Where else, I ask, can one find a hummingbird singing in the snow? I have also seen them displaying in the last few days which, I believe, is designed to lull the rest of us into a false sense of spring. Looking out at the plows, I will take what I can get!

I must apologize to some, who will no doubt be offended at my anthropomorphic references. To those, go find your own ray of sunshine in the blizzard!

Stay warm,

No comments:

Post a Comment